NingNing Philippines Education Fund has forged a new PARTNERSHIP with Guidelines International Ministries, which is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation and member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability. Guidelines has graciously agreed to take on NingNing as a ‘Ministry Project’ under their organization, ensuring maximum legal and financial oversight.
Guidelines is a Christian ministry that has been reaching, teaching and touching lives around the world with the love of God since 1963. Founder Dr. Harold Sala and his lovely wife Darlene, share a heartfelt love for the Filipino people and are excited to partner with NingNing in bringing higher education to some of Manila’s poorest youth (for more on Guidelines and the Salas, visit:https://www.guidelines.org/).
Why the Need for Partnership?
It’s no secret the non-profit sector is undergoing intense scrutiny right now, especially as the Three Cups of Tea debacle continues to unfold under the global spotlight. The whole thing is very disappointing to say the least, and threatens to deter many people from giving in the future. But it can also serve as a wake-up call to all of us who have ever given money to charitable causes. No matter how good the intention or cause behind an organization, the bottom line is that they are all run by people and therefore, are susceptible to human folly, error and mismanagement. That is why it is evermore important for all non-profit organizations to have proper legal and financial oversight in place, which can serve as key indicators of integrity and credibility.
Although NingNing is very small in scale with a very focused geographical area and mission compared to other charitable causes, I feel it is equally important to establish the proper infrastructure to ensure legal, ethical and responsible practices are being carried out.
Since the NingNing Philippines Education Fund was formed in November 2009, it has been running as a charitable ‘project-based’ initiative, without official non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation status, due to the size and scope of the fund’s primary mission. This model however, has not been without it’s drawbacks and limitations. For example, it does not allow for tax deductible donations and lacks the legal and financial oversight that should be in place when funds are being handled for charitable causes.
Partnering with Guidelines will fill in these gaps. Guidelines International Ministries has graciously agreed to act as an umbrella organization, providing proper legal, financial and administrative oversight, while still allowing NingNing to operate independently as it’s own entity.
What Does This Mean for NingNing?
From a logistical standpoint, NingNing will still function and operate as is. Our very dedicated team members on the ground in Manila, Alfredo Olavidez and Nonie Samonte, will continue to carry out their responsibilities of disbursing the funds for the students’ needs (tuition payments, travel allowances, school supplies, etc.).
From an administrative standpoint, however, NingNing will be handing over primary duties to the Guidelines staff. The following changes will take immediate effect:
- NingNing will operate under the legal and financial discretion of Guidelines, Inc. (US) which is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation and a member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA), which conducts a full financial audit of Guidelines Inc. (US) books annually in accordance with ECFA requirements.
- All US gifts will be made to NingNing through Guidelines Inc. (US) and will be tax deductible. (hooray!)
- Donations can be made by check, credit card or mail to the Guidelines office (seehttps://ningningpef.wordpress.com/donate/)
- Guidelines will receive and receipt all donations made to NingNing Philippines Education Fund’s ministry; maintain a list of donors and donations made on their behalf; provide accounting of donors, their donations, administrative fees and amounts remitted to NingNing.
- NingNing will provide quarterly (Jan-Mar, April–June, July-Sept) reports of ministry activities and accomplishments to Guidelines International and an annual (year end) report covering activities of the entire past year.
On behalf of the NingNing Philippines Education Fund team members and beneficiaries, I would like to extend a heartfelt THANK YOU to Dr. Harold and Darlene Sala and to their Guidelines International Ministries staff for opening up this exciting door of opportunity. We are thrilled and honored to join hands with such a well-established and reputable organization in our efforts to impact and improve lives in the Philippines!